Suppose you are small enough not to want multiple servers each doing exactly one role. If you consider Exchange with the above requirement, you probably have the same problem we used to have. Memory consumption! STORE.EXE takes almost all available memory, no matter how much you allocate to the server. This might not seem like a big problem... until you disable page file, to make sure you server runs on memory, and not on a hard drive.
Let's say you want your custom control display empty string in a certain field, if it has a default value. For example, if your Text field on a custom Label control is identical to its name, show Text field as blank. Would be nice if it worked both ways, i.e. leaving Text field blank would make it identical to the name (or following a certain pattern).
Hardware - HP Proliant DL380 G5, two disks, one is Intel SSD and another one is HP SCSI 15K drive, each running as RAID0. Software - IOMeter, latest version. File system - default NTFS partitions were setup, with Intel being a system drive. It might sound like a bit of overhead (bringing incorrect measurements), but honestly, I don't think it would really matter on such speeds and IOps. Controller caching - 25% read/75% write.
You might get an annoying event log error, if you server does not have a direct connection to the internet (no internet at all, or some ports are just blocked). That's because your computer is trying to get root certificates update from Microsoft. You use those for Internet Explorer browsing. But who cares about browsing on a server? This is how you can disable root certificates update, and get rid of false errors in the event log.
There is also Primary DNS Suffix option under the same tree node, just in case you need it.
With the above line, we are removing every shortest set of symbols within triangle brackets. The word shortest is very important here. Have a look at this wiki page for more information about greedy and lazy matching.
Well, I spent some time looking for this one. It used to be Terminal Services Configuration. At least, in 2003 and 2008 it was named exactly like this. In 2008 R2, however, Microsoft decided to change the name to (obviously) improve usability, especially for experienced admins. And here's how it goes now Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration. Not quite obvious, is it?
When the cursor on my cheap Kingwin mouse (KW-02, 800 dpi) started shivering for no reason, I decided to take the old one back (Logitech LX3, 1000 dpi). Then I noticed it's not so good on my hardwood desk, so having researched on good mouse pads, I bought OCZ Behemoth Regulator.
It happened after power outage, so our print server randomly turned off. When brought online, the first thing I noticed is that I couldn't print under my Windows 7 Ent x86 workstation. Then, after I removed the printer I could not add it back. Got the error 0x00000002. Log off didn't help.
It originally started as a minor problem. One of our employees did not get updates for the offline address book (OAB) from the Exchange server. One person was missing from there and it was just one PC that had this issue. Naturally, we tried updating OAB. Got the error 0x8004010F (The operation failed. An object could not be found). Strangely enough, we then tried to update OAB from other PCs and got the same error. However, all those PC had no problem showing that contact on the list.