software
Update of Google Chrome Fails - Inconsistent Group Policy
· ☕ 1 min read
It appears that Google Chrome provides a solution for this, available at this link. Unfortunately, it did not work for me, because all options were already set to Not configured and it still could not update. What I did was navigate to registry at HKLM/Software/Policies/Google and delete the Update folder under that. Restarted Chrome, retried updating and it worked flawlessly.

Repair Internet Explorer 9
· ☕ 1 min read
About a week ago Internet Explorer 9 started showing an error on startup on one of our PCs at work. This solution worked perfectly.

Cannot Compact VHD Due To File System Limitation
· ☕ 1 min read
Very likely, deleting your shadow copies on guest machine will help. I just disabled shadow copy on C drive and it worked for me on Windows 2008 R2 + SP1.

Merge Excel 2010 worksheets into one
· ☕ 2 min read
Step 1. Save each worksheet into an individual file (you will need Developer tab enabled/visible to use the code below - File/Options/Customize Ribbon/Check 'Developer' tab on the right)

Connecting a router with DD-WRT in repeater mode
· ☕ 2 min read
Asus RT-N12, DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 14896 (08/07/10), mini image (4MB firmware size), connected to the internet, later being referred to as Router 1. TP-Link TL-WR1043ND, same version, regular firwmare (8MB), later Router 2. Despite routers run on Broadcom and Atheros chips, it was possible to configure them to cooperate. Both internet and local network are now working.

Enable Standby USB on Asus P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3
· ☕ 1 min read
One of the use cases - you might need it to charge your cell phone over USB, while PC is off. By default, this option is disabled on this motherboard - using latest BIOS (v3202). To enable, look under Advanced / Onboard Devices Configuration / Asmedia USB 3.0 Battery Charging Support (see picture to the left - clickable).

MS SQL Server 2008 R2 error log growing rapidly
· ☕ 1 min read
MS SQL server 2008 R2 was spamming the error log with the following two messages (got around 50GB of them in 4 days). An exception occurred while enqueueing a message in the target queue. Error 15517, State 1. Cannot execute as the database principal because the principal "dbo" does not exist, this type of principal cannot be impersonated, or you do not have permission.